For my third interview, I opted to speak again with Mrs. Vasquez, librarian at McBean Elementary, who had graciously hosted me for my final day of in-person internship . Mrs. Vasquez has only been in her position for a few years, but carries with her over a decade of classroom experience, and is quickly distinguishing herself as a Media Specialist to watch in Richmond County. As we began our interview, I once more decided to open by gauging her familiarity with AASL standards . She was pensive for a moment, as if searching for the knowledge , before nodding affirmatively . She explained that she was largely familiar with the standards, though she was having trouble recalling them directly- even so, she noted, her work was in alignment with them, she was certain . For context, Mrs. Vasquez is a certified school librarian, but she does not possess an MLIS- her route to certification came through a degree in Information Technology, and so...
I survived Hurricane Helene- and only marginally worse for wear! On to the post! I'll start by saying that I have some... rather strong opinions on the SAMR model. In my county, SAMR is our framework for technology integration in the classroom; half the teachers in my school have an old SAMR poster hung somewhere on their wall, and almost all of our tech-oriented PL will emphasize "Teaching Above The Line," that is, stressing the "Modification" and "Redefinition" bits over "Augmentation" and "Substitution." In theory, this shouldn't be unattainable- after all, we're a 1:1 technology district! Every student has guaranteed access to a laptop or Chromebook, which should greatly magnify the options available for teaching. After all, the internet is a powerful tool- you can do so much more digitally than you can with pen and paper, right?? Well... perhaps not. I don't think I've witnessed an implementation yet whi...
For our second interview, I decided to approach Mrs. Flint, in whose library I had spent t he semester interning . Mrs. Flint is highly experienced; a seasoned educator and skilled librarian who had, already, given me some incredible insight into how to construct and administer effective library programming . She was, therefore, a perfect candidate to shed some light on the next standard I’d chosen- Collaborate. As with Mrs. Streets, I opened by asking her what her familiarity was with the AASL standards . She noted that she was relatively familiar , particularly since our district had (prior to my joining) held a series of PLs discussing the AASL standards crosswalk, and how it integrated into our practi ces . Satisfied, I decided to dive right in, as our time together was unfortunately quite limited on this occasion. I asked her what Collaboration looked like in her Media Center, how it manifested in regards to her colleagues. ...
Comments
Post a Comment